I got a plenty of e-mails from microsofties pleading that I was to harsh on Windows, and should think about doing a top 10 Linux Crash post. The reality is yes Linux can crash, although it tends to be harder to do as you tend to know exactly what you're doing when you install Linux. Which is why this list is hilarious. Some of the top 10 includes planes, and trains. It was funny to see that most of the pictures are of airplanes.
So next time your flying on your favorite airline, don't worry when you see Linux crash and reboot before your eyes. It seems to be a common occurrence. I have to say however, Linux has a million and one ways to "crash", and a lot of times it will just reboot, stop responding, stop working, and force you to reboot. Therefore I am counting reboots that have to be done because the system is unusable as a crash. At least Microsoft standardized most crashed requiring a reboot on the ugliest blue and white screen ever and called it the BSoD. lol.
- A typical users computer that runs Linux. Linux has definitely crashed here.
- Linux crashes in an airliner. This is great. Windows I'm used to seeing crash, but Linux... Not a good sign. This was taken on an Air Algerie Airbus A330
- More detailed close up of a Linux crash.
- Turns out that a LOT of airplanes you fly these days use Linux!
- Linux Crash on a train running Centro's TV software
- Another Linux crash on an airplane. I love the retro carpet on seats lol.
- A smart phone goes down hard with a Linux Kernel Panic.
- Linux crash on a subway!
- Nintendo DS Runs Linux! This person must have been fooling around with a third party tool like EZ-Client.
- Tim Horton's uses Linux! I bet they were told it would never crash like Windows! I'll have a large double double please! Thanks Colin for taking the picture! Check out his flickr image here.
- This guys is awesome. If anyone knows where I can buy this shirt let me know!
- A Linux Kernel Panic during a presentation at a Linux Rally Event!
Updated: I wont delete the comments from the Linux posters (by the way I have 4 machines running SUSE Linux myself) as I find it hilarious how some people ruin it for everyone. This is called "satire humor" people. Of course none of these are BSoD as there is not such thing in Linux. However, if you get some bad hardware plugged into Linux, or put the average Joe that uses Windows in front of a Linux machine, the amount of hanging, crashes, kernel panics you will get will BLOW YOUR MIND. All of these screens below do shoe rebooting in situations where a reboot should not have happened, aka, in a plane with hundreds of passengers seeing "engine" in the boot sequence. End users don't know the difference.
The entire purpose of this blog is "Real World" and in the "Real World" all of things above are crashes to people. I can explain each one, but I won't as that is not the point. The Linux users our there should just laugh and admit that the two operating systems are different, and applicable in different scenarios. Some people are better at Basketball, some people are better at computers. Some people are Olympic Gold Medallists in Hockey, but that same person might not even be able to swim. Does that make one person better than the other? no. Just different. Will both people fail, and hopefully get back up after a failure? Of course! Nobody is invincible! And no piece of software is "perfect". There is room for both people in the world, as there is room for two different operating systems. However I do feel that this "elitist" attitude is definitely hurting the adoption of Linux, instead of helping. It's to bad really.